Here are the five biggest questions that need to be answered for us to win the Big East as we have been picked to do:
- QB. Somebody needs to take over and play well not just stumble to wins.
- New OC Cignetti needs to establish his style of offense early in the season and find the type of playcalling that will fit our personnel. No more 3rd down draws and bubble screens on 1st and 2nd downs. You don't win the Big East by being as conservative as the playcalling was under Cavanaugh.
- Offensive line. Who is going to be play the two tackle positions? Is Houser going to be able to come back from injury and keep the center job? Will Jacobsen finally get his shot at guard? Will Nix win a starting job? Does seniority decide each position battle like it has in the past? By the time we break camp every position needs to be decided and the players winning the starting jobs need to play well enough to keep them.
- Will potential stars on defense finally emerge and play consistently for an entire season? Greg Romeus had a great Freshman season but struggled in many games last season. Aaron Berry is the biggest underacheiver in the Big East and you rarely know what you will get from play to play with him. Elijah Fields is the egnima of the entire program with all the off-field stuff and the flashes of potential on the field.
- Has Wanny learned from the mistakes of last year? At so many points the program was on the verge of breaking through but something always killed the momentum. We all know exactly who Wanny is and what he brings as a gameday coach but can he get over the hump.
For what it is worth I would have picked us to finish either 2nd or 3rd behind either Cincinatti, WVU, or USF. I think we have every chance to win the Big East and I don't see anybody as a big favorite.
Big East Preseason Poll