Monday, April 6, 2009

Late Scrimmage Thoughts

Sorry for the lateness of this post but I have been away for a little bit. I thought I would give some of my thoughts on the second scrimmage. All the stats are coming from Gorman's blog on the Trib website.
  • Dion Lewis continues to be the story of camp. He has only been on campus since January and has already emerged as the first team running back. This is really shocking to me not because of what type of player he could be but it is so tough for a freshman to make an impact under this coaching staff. I can't wait to see him at the spring game to see if the hype is real.
  • Lucas Nix is pushing for that right tackle spot and he is doing exactly what he needs to do to make it a difficult decision for the staff. 
  • Stull at least completed some passes in the scrimmage going 9 for 14. Sunseri had the best numbers going 9 for 12 and Bostick went 9 for 17. This "competition" is three guys having good and bad days but nobody winning the job. All this is going to lead to Stull as the starter and Bostick as the backup. I would be willing to bet money on it.
  • A weird development is that highly regarded redshirt freshman kicker Kevin Harper is having accuracy problems. He has a monster leg and was expected to take over the job but his problems have led to the emergence of Dan Hutchins. Hutchins has been very accurate in camp and could take over the field goal duties this year.
So I focused mainly on the offense today. Tomorrow I will take a look at what to look for from the defense on Saturday.

2 comments:

rkohberger said...

Sounds to me like DW is doing everything he can to ensures Nix is the starter, as with Jacobson. I'd say it was Nix's job to lose at this point.

Bostick actually had the best day of the three QBs on Saturday as far as execution and all around play - Sunseri had the best passing stats, but had problems with executing some of his plays. I wouldn't bet AGAINST Bill Stull at this early point, but certainly wouldn't count out Bostick either.

The consensus opinion that I've been hearing from people who have had eyes at the practices is that it'll sure go into Summer camp as a competition - but that Bostick is looking a lot different than he has in the past. We'll see in July & August, but it's getting interesting.

DPJ said...

I have been out of town and wasn't able to keep following this as much as I would have liked to over the last few days, but this news does sound promising.

I've been very strong in favor of a true quarterback competition and maybe, just maybe, that is what we are going to see. Hopefully all 3 quarterbacks continue to develop well and we have 3 guys who deserve the chance to start instead of 3 guys who we pick the least awful one.

It will also be interesting to see how things play out after this Thomas injury. Thomas has more experience than most everyone on the team as he started many games since his freshman year. That experience should be valuable, but the best players should play regardless of what year they are in school.